Crystals absorb all sorts of energies from anyone and anything they come into contact with, which is why it is important that we cleanse them regularly to get rid of or neutralize the negative energies that are stored in them.
When crystals are cleansed, they become more effective and useful to us, especially during healing – where it is important that crystals are cleansed before and after a session.
There are many ways to cleanse crystals, depending on their types. Some crystals cannot be cleansed in water as they might dissolve, while colorful crystals may fade over time after being bathed in sunlight for several hours.
If you’d like to brush or wipe your crystals during cleansing, be sure to use a soft-bristled brush or a soft cloth.
After crystals are cleansed, some people would then “program” their intentions into the crystals by giving their energies a sense of direction so that the crystals are clear about what you would like them to do.
Now, are you ready to cleanse your crystals? Here are eight ways to do it:
- Smudging: Tie together herbs like sage or lavender into a stick and smudge the crystals with them.
- Incense smoke: Immerse the crystals in smoke rising from burning incense such as sage, frankincense or palo santo.
- Sunlight/Moonlight spa: Bathe the crystals in sunlight or moonlight for at least four hours to allow their energies to recharge.
- Submerge in water or under a running tap: Submerge your crystals in saltwater or in other water bodies such as rivers or reservoirs or place crystals on your palm under running water for few minutes while keeping in mind the intention to purify them.
- Bury them in earth: Bury your crystals in earth for a day to let the energies in the crystals neutralize.
- Sound: Sounds can break up stagnant energy stored in crystals. We suggest playing a track on Tibetan singing bowls as the sounds coming from it can generate fresh circulation of energy within crystals.
- Brown rice: Burying crystals underneath grains of brown rice for a day can also help to get rid of negative energies.
Selenite: Selenite crystals contain high-vibration energies that cleanse and purify other crystals. You can either wave a selenite wand over your crystals or place your crystals on a piece of selenite for several hours.